Dal Makhani/Dal Makhni
Dal makhani or Dal makhni is a dish which came from western part of Panjab.
Its main Ingredient are ‘Whole black lentil’
( urad dal ) ‘Red kidney beans’ ( rajma ) and ofcourse Butter ( desi ghee ) and Cream which brings richness in dal.
⅓cup- urad dal ( balck lentil )
¼cup- kidney beans ( rajma )
2- bay leaf
2 large tomato finely chopped
1 large onion finely chopped
1½ tbsp- ginger garlic paste
Pinch of asafoetida ( hing )
½tsp- turmeric powder
1tsp- coriander powder
1tbsp- Kashmiri red chilli powder
½- garam masala (optional)
Water as required
Salt to taste
ke both dals and wash them properly and soak them overnight or 8to9 hrs ( adding enough water for soaking ).
2) wash soaked dals again and add 3cups of water, salt and 1tbsp ghee.
3) Now, close the lid and pressure cook dals on medium flame for 4-5whistle. ( check dals are completely cooked ).
4) In a hot pan add 2tbsp ghee/butter and add bay leaf and ginger garlic paste saute for few seconds ( on low flame ) add onions saute till onions become light golden.
5) once onions are cooked add spices turmeric, coriander, cumin, asafoetida, red chilli powder, and garam masala saute them. Once spices are cooked add tomatoes and salt cook till masala start releasing oil from sides.
6) add cooked dals and give a nice stir, now add 1½ cup water or as per required.
Close the lid and boil dal for 8-10min ( on low flame ) so, the dals can absorb the masala flavors.
7)Turn off the flame and add cream, mix well.
Your Dal Makhani is ready to eat. Serve hot with rice, naan and Garnish with some butter and cream.